Working with the DPW Construction and Utilities Superintendent, the DPW Specialty Construction Manager provides oversight and management of several DPW construction projects for the Burning Man event. The DPW Specialty Construction Manager will directly oversee the following projects: Container Build, Special Projects, and Metal Shop. This position will live and work at Black Rock Station (The Ranch) and BRC, near Gerlach Nevada beginning in May, and going through the end of the DPW season in September.
The deadline to apply for this role is 6:00pm PT on Sunday April 2nd, 2017
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Directly supervise high level staff: This includes but isn’t limited to the design, method of construction, manpower levels, material quantities, equipment, and temporary power sources needed for these projects.
- Work with the DPW Construction and Utilities Superintendent to oversee the construction and deconstruction of the on-playa Metal Shop, as well as the structures and installations built by Special Projects, and the yearly Container Build. This may include determining method of construction, manpower levels, material quantities, equipment, and temporary power sources.
- Supervise the following DPW Project Managers throughout the work season: Container Build Manager, Special Projects Manager, Metal Shop Manager.
- Maintain clear and regular lines of communication with assigned DPW Project Managers.
- Work with assigned DPW Project Managers to schedule and coordinate their DPW projects, maintaining a feedback loop regarding project scope, build schedule, operations schedule, and budget.
- Maintain clear and regular lines of communication with your DPW Council member, providing regular reports and feedback as necessary.
- Support crews with LNT planning and execution.
- Enforce budgetary spending by working with assigned DPW Project Managers to schedule and coordinate their projects, maintaining a feedback loop regarding project scope, build schedule, operations schedule, and budget from pre-event construction through post-event.
- Review and approve, with the project managers, the bills and invoices for materials and equipment. Meet with the Business Services Manager as needed to discuss receipts, bills, invoices and allocations.
- Work with the DPW Business Services Manager to finalize contracts, to monitor vendor performance and to negotiate final payment as necessary.
- Responsible for the evaluation and oversight of economic decisions affecting operations.
- Schedule and coordinate Black Rock City’s construction activities and subcontractors.
- Ensure DPW timelines and methods and requirements of County, State and Federal agencies are met.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of project specifications, the contract and its general conditions, and ensure all materials and subcontract work comply with the contract documents and quality specifications.
- Continuously review and update progress reports, schedules, and requirements for completion as delegated by the DPW Manager. Recommend appropriate changes in methods, materials, schedules and procedures.Provide estimates for change orders and new work.
- Liaise with engineers, designers, inspectors and department heads to ensure work complies with drawings, specifications, schedule and expectations.
- Sanction staff camp layouts if they require use of temporary power resources.
- Review progress reports, cost reports, schedules and requirements for project completion.
- Review rentals, logistics, purchases, requests, construction and design, material, labor needs and timelines.
- Advanced understanding of construction scheduling, cost control, and large-scale project management.
- Direct experience with residential or commercial construction projects. (3 to 5 years)
- Experience in, or working knowledge of metal fabrication.
- Experience in, or working knowledge of residential or commercial electrical and plumbing.
- Extensive knowledge of construction methods and/or structural engineering
- Familiarity with Burning Man and with event-based production work.
- Ability to lead by example, motivate teams, and have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be willing to travel and relocate for the duration of the DPW work season.
- Must have experience supervising major projects in remote wilderness and/or desert environment.
- Must have working knowledge of Google products. (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Drive, etc)
- Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Experienced in the use of Computer Aided Design software.
- Ability and willingness to work with a largely volunteer labor force. (minimum 1 major project)
- Experienced in the use of Computer Aided Design software preferred.
- Valid Class "C" Driver's License and clean driving record.
- OSHA 30 hour Construction & General Industry Certification.
- State issued Contractors License preferred.
Off-playa: Work is primarily sedentary in nature, no special demands are required.
On-playa: This position requires periods of heavy lifting, bending, kneeling, squatting, and climbing. This position will be physically demanding, and requires individuals with good physical health, and endurance.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This is a temporary, full-time position ineligible for benefits, working out of Gerlach, Nevada.
Burning Man is an equal-opportunity employer.