The Artist Project Manager supports the process, questionnaire completion, coordination and activities of self-funded artists on Playa for Burning Man. This is a seasonal part-time position that specifically supports and works with the team that engages with over 200 Self-Funded Artists who come to Playa each year and receive a range of services.
The deadline to apply for this role is 6:00pm PT on Friday, April 28, 2017.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Insure that the artist has successfully completed the Artist Installation Questionnaire
- Contact artists to follow up in order to assess the project feasibility and solicit additional information as needed
- Shepherd artists through internal processes
- Work with artists and the tech team to get project listings posted to Burning Man website
- Coordinate with artists regarding – as appropriate: tickets, work access passes, vehicle passes, ASS resources, on-playa support, camping in an art support camp, etc.
- Participate in regular meetings of internal stakeholders leading up to the event
- Manage the documentation process
- Serve as main ASS, FAST and ARTery liaison for all artists in the assigned portfolio
- Meet with artists to introduce them to the site, go over rules and regulations, make sure they have what they need
- Ensure all artists’ work is ready for the participants by dawn on Sunday of Gate day
On Playa Interface
- Monitor the attendance of the artists at their spaces from Sunday through Strike
- Resolve issues as they arise regarding the performance of the individual artists and their teams
- Be available on site as artists and their teams strike their spaces. Inspect finished spaces for MOOP
- Sign off on their check-out and completion
Post-Playa Wrap Up
- Fill out an EMBER report to tell us what worked well, what didn't, offer suggestions for improvement, etc.
Other Functions and Responsibilities
- Other duties as necessary
TEACHING AND LEARNING
- Documentation - Assists in the creation, publishing, and maintenance of process documentation related to their assigned duties.
- Knowledge sharing – Helps acculturate and educate junior staff and volunteers in Burning Man culture and business processes.
- Training development - Collaborates with the education team to develop training materials in their area of expertise, as requested.
- Learning – Pursues ongoing learning in their area of expertise, working to stay current on emergent knowledge, skills, and processes.
- 2+ years of experience scoping, planning and implementing projects
- Experience working with volunteers
- 3+ years of experience in an arts environment
- Ability to adjust schedule seasonally to work at the Burning Man event held in Nevada with at least two weeks on Playa.
- Experience working independently and making decisions in concert with stated guidelines
- Patience and tolerance for high stress conditions
- Experience with Burning Man and Black Rock Desert conditions
- Valid Drivers’ License and a clean driving record.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Off-playa: Work is primarily sedentary in nature, no special demands are required.
- On-playa: Work is primarily sedentary but will also include the need to find and meet with department representatives who may not be in the vicinity therefore this could include walking or using some form of transportation. Some of the work will be in outside weather conditions and will be exposed to fumes or airborne particles as well as possible extremes in temperature.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
- This is a temporary, part-time position ineligible for benefits, working out of our San Francisco office and in Black Rock City, Nevada.
- Burning Man is an equal-opportunity employer.